Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Just Some Odds and Ends

Have you ever seen a six generation picture before? I've seen many five and four, but this was a first for me - imagine the excitement in this family when the great-great-great grandma lived to see this amazing occurrence. (Sorry it scanned crooked!)





For some reason I always like to keep you posted on what I'm reading - maybe because I just enjoy sharing good stuff I've found. I wish I remembered where I hear or read about these books that I then go and put on hold at the library. Often it's when I'm reading People magazine at the gym while I'm exercising.

This book, The Imam's Daughter, is autobiographical by Hannah Shah (name changed from Hannan). It is a gripping, sad, victorious story of a young woman who escaped from the horrendous life under the thumb of a vicious Muslim "leader." It is an eye opener for sure.




This is a novel set in the 60s in the midst of the racial tensions. I am about 1/3 of the way through it, but am having a hard time finding enough time to read, as I wish. It is so well written, and another eye-opener.




I was sitting and reading yesterday afternoon on the patio, as I mentioned in a previous post, and of course, I dozed off. I had to pick up the girls from early release day (which I find the most annoying, ridiculous decision the school board has ever made) at 1:50. Suddenly I realized I'd better check the time. A few minutes earlier it had been 1:00 and I had plenty of time. All of a sudden it was 1:41, the littles were napping (again) and I had to rush down, drag them out of their sweet slumber, buckle them in, and pray for green lights and moving traffic as I headed the 4 miles to the school. Got there at 1:52, before the girlies panicked. Yikes!


Earlier in the day, the littles had decided to empty one of the big tubs of stuffed toys - it's like Christmas, you know, when you find things you forgot you had. Speaking of Christmas (which someone so kindly reminded me yesterday is only 4 months away!), Emma found this in the tub and wore it around the rest of the afternoon - so cute!





Saturday evening we headed over to Walker Manufacturing for their employee picnic - it was hot, which is why they had it in the evening. The girls really enjoyed themselves. Of course I left my camera in the car. The littles had fun in the bouncy house, although Miss Emma preferred the 7-older one to the 6-under. While the other 3 were riding ponies, she headed back, in a heartbeat, to the more dangerous one - out of my sight in the blink of an eye. Scary moment!! Forty acres of grass out there that she could have gotten lost in - thank goodness she loved the big kid bouncy house and had on a very bright yellow shirt.

The last thing on the agenda was face painting - they did a great job of butterflies on their faces - here is the happy look ---



. . . and here's the look of the one whose face got all sweaty and lost most of it before she even got out of the park!



One commenter asked about the sculptures in the previous post - the one where they're singing along is called "I Would Love to Live in Loveland with a Girl Like You." You can climb up there and see the actual music and words. The one where Care Bear is curled up in the soldier's lap is called, "Departure," I think. It's quite a touching piece. I must do a photo day of all my favorites - I've been promising that for a long time.

In the spirit of keeping it real, it's been a really tough couple of weeks, with "stuff" I don't feel comfortable sharing. Suffice it to say, I've not been sleeping well, have had headaches and upset stomach, and lots of kiddo time. I have been asking the Lord for wisdom, courage, and peace. The peace - promised by Him, but hard to relax and accept.

The song, "Peace Like a River" has been playing in the car on the kids' cd about every day as we drive around. I don't really think of a river as peaceful, since so much of the time it's churning and roaring down the canyon in our part of the world. But the lake in the middle of our town - God gave me this gift yesterday morning on the way home from the school run --









The view of these little ducks paddling together out in the middle of the water, totally oblivious to the mess in the world around them, gave me such a sense of rest. Thank you, Lord.





Far away in the depths of my spirit tonight
Rolls a melody sweeter than psalm;
In celestial strains it unceasingly falls
O’er my soul like an infinite calm.

What a treasure I have in this wonderful peace,
Buried deep in the heart of my soul,

So secure that no power can mine it away,
While the years of eternity roll!

I am resting tonight in this wonderful peace,
Resting sweetly in Jesus’ control;
For I’m kept from all danger by night and by day,
And His glory is flooding my soul!

Refrain

Peace, peace, wonderful peace,
Coming down from the Father above!
Sweep over my spirit forever, I pray
In fathomless billows of love!

Warren D. Cornell (1889)


13 comments:

Glenda said...

Ahhhh, Dawn! How I love that old song, one that brings comfort and stillness to me! The waters around us have churned lately, but I'm thankful for His touch "in the midst of it all." Beautiful, beautiful lake pics with those clear reflections. That's only possible in stilled waters!

The photo of the disappearing butterfly is priceless!

Hope you find more moments of stillness this week! I'm working on that, too!

Robin said...

Ah, praying for you dear friend. God knows. God cares. And I am praying for you that that wonderful peace will overwhelm you today.

"When peace like a river attendeth my way, When sorrow like sea billows roll - whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say, "IT IS WELL, IT IS WELL WITH MY SOUL"

grammy said...

We have a late START day at the girls school. So glad we didn't have to deal with that when our kids were young (o: Maybe you could get someone to pick up the school girls on that day so you would not have to wake up the littles who don't seem to like to nap anyway (o:
Praying for peace for you. Don't make yourself sick....let go and let God... you need your rest. (o:

Hootin Anni said...

Once again, a terrific post. I do hope you'll find peace of mind in whatever is troubling you. It's hard to share, and I surmise you feel it's something you don't want to share publicly, but if you need a shoulder to lean on, I'm here for you with emails!!

Love the butterfly face...so so precious. And you know I love Santas...so that would be a special santa for me....[kidding of course, but I do need to add that I'm green at the gills with you having all the girls in you "grand" scheme of things...y'know? Me having only the grandsons and all.

The lake is always so beautiful. Always.

I am having a hard time reading this book I'm reading. I've got plenty on the 'to read' nightstand, but I never like to go to another unless I finish one. I don't read much except for nighttime. Or outdoors in the shade...but the mosquitoes have claimed our yard here of late, and they can have it....since they don't want to share the space.

nancygrayce said...

Love the butterfly faces! AND the santa hat even though I don't like being reminded of when Christmas is coming! I dread the shopping. I'm ready to stop the gift giving and just have a nice time together!

I'm praying for your peace and strength to do the many things you do. The lake pictures are so peaceful.

Gigi said...

Praying God's peace over your situation... <3

Mary said...

Dawn,

I can't believe how much the girlies have grown since I last visited. Time goes so fast.

I enjoyed catching up with you a little. Things have been hectic here as well, but not things I wish to share on a blog either.

Glad to be back in touch.

Blessings,
Mary

Midlife Mom said...

Oh those old songs are so soothing to the soul! I wish we would sing more of them but it seems these days they just want to sing the P&W songs and only occasionally throwing in one of the oldies. I find it very sad and upsetting that this new generation does not know a lot of the old hymns that have been around for years and years. Guess I'm an old duffer but in this day and age with all the unrest we need these things to cling to. 'nuff said, guess I got on a soapbox.

Sorry you are having things to deal with right now that are hard. Life sure has a way of throwing the hard balls at us doesn't it? I will be praying.

Thanks for the info on the sculptures!

Going to be very hot here this weekend which is good as the Folk Festival is in town all weekend. We don't go, too crowded, but we will be at the lake for sure.

I love the song that Robin spoke of too, 'It is well with my Soul' and love the history behind it! Hang in there dear friend!!! xoxo

Anonymous said...

The girl's face painting is by far the cutest I've ever seen. Adorable.

I love the hymn you posted at the end. I haven't heard it in years, but it brings back memories of my childhood and goin' to church where we sang hymns every Sunday.

Hoping you find a peace that passes all understanding in the midst of whatever you are up against.

A Hint of Home said...

Wow, another school year. The girls are growing fast. They are all so cute!
I remember the days of picking them up and being caught in a long line at the store or traffic and panicking. I know the feeling. lol

Your pictures are soooo pretty.

Sharon Lynne said...

I can identify with the dilema of picking up a child from school, smack in the middle of naptime for the other. (and you have "double trouble".) So hard.

I will be praying for some peace for you dear friend.

Hootin Anni said...

Hi again Dawn. I just sent you an email so you can have me email addy.

Sent it to the .edu

Needled Mom said...

I am so sorry that you have had some tough times lately, Dawn. You always have so much on your plate. I know it is easy for us to say, but try to turn it over to Him. He will certainly come to your rescue.

The face painting is gorgeous. Too bad the sad face melted it away.

Glad that you awoke in time to get the girls. I am sure that everyone would have understood.

I have heard that The Imam's Daughter is a gripping book. I have it on my "list".