Sunday, January 28, 2007

The Grand Finale #81-100

We left this story with my roommate heading back to western Kansas to be closer to her home. I was left to fend for myself in this somewhat ingrown community.

81. My expenses immediately doubled. I know - doubling $30/month doesn't sound like much. But double the utilities as well, and factor in the fact that I wasn't making much, it was a blow.

82. I had spent the summer in Colorado, counseling at 2 camps. There I met a pastor's wife who was eager to introduce me to THE bachelor, a rancher, in their church.

83. We met and spent the rest of the summer going between his town and mine, getting acquainted, trucking around in his big green Ford pick-up, and falling in love.

84. I went back to my teaching job, more lonely than ever - no roommate and a new boyfriend back home.

85. I did enjoy the little church there, sang in the choir, and got invited over for meals. I'll never forget getting the flu and being so sick all by myself - a girl is never too old to wish her mom was there to take care of her when she's sick!

86. "The Rancher" and I wrote letters and talked on the phone - often. I actually traveled to cattle shows in Kansas City and Tulsa. You should have seen me holding the rope for this huge white bull, who knew I was afraid of him. It could easily have been the end of me! My brothers couldn't believe it!

87. It wasn't all bad - I wish I had all the letters I wrote "the rancher" because they were basically a journal of all the cute things the kids said to me every day. They did keep me laughing much of the time.

88. I went home for Christmas. He tried to tell me he wasn't ready to settle down. I didn't believe it.

89. I had resigned my teaching job mid-year, which turned out to be a terrible mistake. I moved back home at the end of the semester, and he promptly broke up with me 2 weeks later.

90. Now I had no boyfriend, and had to move into my parents' house after being in my own place for a year and a half. We got along fine, but I felt really cramped and stifled and lonely.

91. I directed the day care center operated by the church Dad pastored. It turned out to be a poor fit for me.

92. I couldn't get a teaching job - no wonder - would you hire someone who had quit in the middle of the year?

93. I must have been really awful to be around. I was so unhappy and was sure "the rancher" would come to his senses and realize how much he missed me and how wrong he had been.

94. I had presented God with a plan and asked him to sign the bottom line. I ran ahead of him. I am so thankful that He is a redeeming God and can make something beautiful out of the messes we make.

95. I eventually got a really good job as a personnel secretary in a garment factory, driving 100 miles each day in my little green Mustang. I think I've mentioned it before, and it was a wonderful time of growth for me.

96. I was trying to make the move closer to my job, just when I met DC. I suddenly wanted to stay right where I was. My folks had moved into a different parsonage and the church had my dad build a little apartment in the basement to be able to house missionaries and evangelists. I got to live in it for awhile, and it was a blessing.

97. God has such a great sense of humor and timing - 35 years after the heartbreak, God brought DC and me into contact with "the rancher" in a most amazing way. He and his wife have a son who had been miraculously changed through Teen Challenge. Their son was instrumental in getting Kev into the program. "The rancher" and his wife even helped us financially.

98. When DC found out I drove such a long ways to work every day, he couldn't believe it. When we got married, I decided not to drive so far any more. I got a job in a bank in the town just north of us, in marketing. My typing skills carried me a long ways into jobs that I really enjoyed.

99. I quit working when Kristen was born and was a SAHM for years afterward. I loved every minute (well, almost every minute). I was blessed.

100. I am going to stop now - this could go on forever. I never thought it would be so much fun to come up with these 100 things. It has given me ideas for many more posts to come. Thanks for coming along.

12 comments:

Diane@Diane's Place said...

You think when you start that it's going to be hard to come up with 100 things...until you realize that 100 things is not nearly enough to sum up a lifetime of living.

I've enjoyed getting to know you better through your list, Dawn. Now I'm looking forward to reading the memories your 100 Things list provoked.

Hope you have a great day tomorrow starting your new schedule, and a great week. :-)

Barb said...

Thank you God for the typing skills! How many jobs did I get because I could type like the wind.

It took us a while to get to 100, Dawn. But I loved every word of it.

xoxoxo

Pamela said...

What a great ride! Loved your 100! Was so enjoyable to read and I especially like reading how God put DC in your life right at the right time, and yet the rancher and his wife's son played a detrimental role in your son's recuperation!

Amazing! I couldn't believe it when you said your brother worked for Bill Gaither! They were so good and seemed like such a fun loving group! I haven't laughed that much in ages! So much talent!

rena said...

You could probably write a full post expanding on each of the 100. Wonderful journey you took us on. Thanks.

Kristen said...

Great job, Mom. Now you can relax your brain from coming up with 100 things about yourself. Why do you think I didn't even attempt 200 with my 200th post?!?!

Glad you didn't end up with the Rancher. Where would I be?!

Carole Burant said...

Gosh, Dawn, you certainly did have an interesting time of it...I can't believe everything you had to go through! When you put it all together, though, you realize how all of it helped you grow and make the person you are today. I thoroughly enjoyed your 100 things about you list...I haven't even attempted to do that for myself yet! lol Hugs xoxo

Sue Seibert said...

What a wonderful journal...a look back at your life. God does move in mysterious ways, and if we try to move outside those ways, we can make big mistakes...but we have free will...and usually through those mistakes we learn and grow.

Hope your week is blessed.

kpjara said...

You can't just stop...this is an epic journey and we're hanging out here!

Honestly I've loved every single entry of these entries.

Have a wonderful day! and thanks again for always being the blog spirit captain!

Unknown said...

Yay, you did it! It has been fun learning about you and I look forward to the posts your thinking about writing :-)

Cheryl said...

"I had presented God with a plan and asked him to sign the bottom line."

Good thought...need to always remember this one!

Linda said...

These just get better and better. I love the story about the rancher and meeting him all those years later. God just has a way of working everything out.
You've done a fabulous job Dawn. It has been great getting a peek into your life.

Sherry said...

better get started on what you'll post for #200;)