Tuesday, December 11, 2007

The Kona Adventure - Part 3

Here we are at Part 3, and I'm still on Day 1 of our adventure. I am having so much fun sharing our fun with you. Every day we wish someone was with us to see and experience this beautiful place. We are amazingly fortunate to have gotten out of Colorado just before three days of snow and ice hit, and to arrive here just as the rain left this area. My foot feels great and my knee improves daily. I am truly a walking miracle.

Karen asked if that was cantaloupe on our first day's breakfast. It's actually papaya. When we went to the Farmer's Market the first day, before I hurt myself, we saw so many varieties of that one fruit, it was confusing. We bought some tangarines, grapefruit, and pineapple. That night we ate the whole pineapple - wonderfully delicious. Nancy gives us way too much food every day. In fact, we usually end up having half of it for lunch or dinner. We have bagels, scones, muffins, and/or croissants, along with the fruit, orange juice, and another more tropical fruit juice variety.

We also bought some Kona coffee that day from a local grower. We very much like to talk to people who live here and work here. There are two hot topics around here with those who make this their home. One is, as I mentioned before, the growth without adequate planning - they say the road work to the airport will take two more years. Reminds me of Denver's huge project called TREX that had things torn up for 3 years. The other controversy is around the coffee issue. Many of the coffee farmers are really up in arms because many companies blend coffee with inferior beans and call it Kona coffee - and do so with as little as 10% authentic Kona coffee. The place we stopped today to buy 100%, no blend coffee is a large operation - the aroma of roasting beans is pungent as you drive down the road. They all think I'm pretty weird because I don't want a taste.

One of our favorite places the first time here was the Painted Church. This little Catholic Church used to be on the coast, but they moved it into the hills because of salt damage. The walls are covered with paintings which were being destroyed. Ten years ago when we were here, we were privileged to attend their annual Christmas program. The most amazing memory is of the Christmas story enacted in hula - all with the hands. It was so moving. Unfortunately, they had their program really early this year and we missed it.

102_1507
102_1508
102_1513
102_1512
102_1511
102_1509
Since we're on the theme of churches, we were walking down the street where a wedding party was being photographed. The wedding took place at the oldest church on the island, built by missionaries in 1838. Later that day we went for a walk on the beach by the old airport site - there was the wedding party having their reception. The young girl you see sitting on the steps was running around, barefooted, on the lava rocks, still in her flower girl dress, with flowers in her hair. Really cute.
kailua_kona_015[1]
102_1559
102_1558
On Sunday morning we had the privilege of worshipping in a small church of our denomination. They were having their children's program. It was very small-church, informal, sweet. We felt so blessed to have been there.
Good-Night!!
020
TO BE CONTINUED . . .

13 comments:

Michelle-ozark crafter said...

I am so happy you are enjoying yourselves so much! thank you for sharing with all of us!

Karen H. said...

Good Early Morning Dawn,
Oh my goodness, I am just speechless. The Church is just breathtaking. I am in awe at the paintings in it. Very Beautiful. The Bride seems to be happy as well. Who wouldn't be happy having a Wedding in Hawaii? I'm sorry yall didn't get to see their Christmas Program. I am glad you got to attend the Children's Program at the Church of your denomination. I have never tried Kona Coffee. I usually just buy Folders or Maxwell House. I use the 1/2 the Caffeine kind. The regular coffee makes me too jittery. I bet the Kona Coffee is good tho. And another beautiful sunset. You have taken some wonderful pictures Dawn. I so appreciate you taking us on Adventure #3. I am really enjoying this so much. I look forward to your next adventure. Take care my friend and have a great evening. May God Bless You and Yours. I do have another question for you if you don't mind. What time zone is Hawaii in? I do know that California is 2 hours behind us. We are in the Central Time Zone.

Hugs,
Karen H.
P.S. Sorry I didn't know that was Papaya. I've never seen it before. It looked like Canteloupe to me. LOL.

Judith said...

Thank you so much for a wonderful trip through your camera. I love learning about places I haven't been.

You are so wise to take time for trips like this. It's nice that you missed the winter weather here. I'll be praying you have a safe journey home, but before you head back, take in all of that wondrous place you can.

Unknown said...

I am so glad you are healing quickly from your fall! Eleanor and I are loving all the pictures you have posted. What a beautiful place! The cottage you are staying in looks so cozy and nice. I'm glad you're having a fun time!

Sherry said...

sounds like you are having a great trip! So glad to hear your knee and ankle are doing better, hope they continue to improve!

Linda said...

What breath-taking pictures Dawn. That church is just amazing and must be even more so in person.
I'm so pleased you're feeling well and able to really enjoy this time. How good God is - you are feeling well and the weather is cooperating.
Carry on having a wonderful time!!

Ms. Kathleen said...

Wow! Such memories this brings up! Yes, I did live there for three years and would move back...but the Lord has us here for ministry and it is beautiful in a different way. Enjoy EVERYTHING! God Bless!

Myrna said...

Great pictures!
I am glad you are enjoying your time there so much. What you're showing us looks so peaceful. I'm sure there ia another pers[ective in the places crowded with tourists.

Thanks again for sharing your trip.

Fresh Girl said...

Love those photos! Especially the ones of the first little church -- it's just beautiful.

Hope you're feeling better today!

Carole Burant said...

That little church is just beautiful and look at the paintings inside...wonderful!! What a shame they'd already had their Christmas program, though. Loved seeing the wedding party...my dream was to get married in Hawaii but that never happened. lol Another breathtaking picture to end your post! xox

Sharon Lynne said...

I love all the pictures...but especially the last one. My husband and I have visited Maui and we usually stay at Napili Bay. That picture reminds me of it! (We haven't been over there for 10 years). Hopefully someday, we will go back.

Okay...let's see a picture of you with a flower in your hair!!

Nadine said...

I'm catching up with your great adventure. Lovely pictures of the church. I wish you could take one of us with you too.

groovyoldlady said...

The print on those wedding attendants/guests leaves me speechless!