Thursday, March 18, 2010

Pete the Dog



This woman of many words has had a brain freeze the past few days. I decided to try to get some creative inspiration by perusing my mom's photo albums. It worked! I have ideas for several upcoming posts which I will enjoy, and hope you will, too.

I am not a person who has an instant love affair with four-legged furry creatures. I have only been truly enamored of 2 pets in my past - both dachshunds when I was an adult. The pets we had as kids were a part of the family, but not a huge part of my life.

Pete was an amazing animal, though, and deserves to be memorialized in this fashion. He came into our family as a tiny puppy, a German Shepherd/Collie mix, named by my dad in honor of a dog from his youth.

Pete was a very smart dog. When we three older kids were in school, the youngest brother at that time was home with his pal, Pete, all day long. Mom says that Pete spent his days guarding brother Dwight from any harm, pacing up and down the sidewalk, making sure he didn't go into the street or suffer any other calamity.




One night someone came to the door, asking Dad, the young pastor, for a ride. Apparently this happened quite often. Dad left, telling Pete to protect the family. Mom says Pete paced from the front door to the back all evening until Dad returned.

This all happened in Arkansas, but the day came when Dad took a pastorate in northern Minnesota. We all piled into our station wagon, 4 kids, pregnant Mom, and Dad - hauling a one-wheel trailer behind us. In the car with us was the pet cat, which really surprises me since my dad is noted for his lack of love for cats. In the trailer was the large doghouse that you can see in the background of the above picture. Pete rode all the way from Arkansas to Minnesota in that trailer - amazing when you think about it! One gas station stop left an indelible memory - as we all kind of popped out of the car when the door opened, the attendant (yes, that was in the days when someone actually filled your car, checked your oil, and cleaned your windows) looked at the menagerie and quipped, "Where's the pony?"

When we got to our new home, a tiny little apartment attached to the back of the church building (Mom's roast beef Sunday dinners had everyone's mouths watering before the end of Dad's sermons as the aroma wafted into the sanctuary), we squeezed in as tightly as we had in the car! All 4 of us kids had to sleep in the same room, with chests of drawers dividing the girls' space from the boys'.

Dad unloaded us with the few things we'd brought with us, rented a truck, and headed back to Arkansas to move the majority of our belongings In those days you had to return a rental truck to the original site. Sadly, Pete disappeared shortly after he left. I remember as if it were yesterday the night that all of us were very upset about his absence. We were in the kitchen, surrounding Mom, crying, and praying for Pete. I can't remember if it was that night or the next day, but it wasn't long before Pete was scratching and barking at the back door, wanting to come in from the cold Minnesota winter. It seems evident that he had headed back to Arkansas, based on the appearance of his paw pads. It's amazing to me to this day that he found his way back to the place we'd only lived in for a couple of days.

Unfortunately, Pete had to stay outside, tied to a chain. Obviously, there was no room in this tiny apartment, and there was no such thing as a fenced yard. He stayed in the back yard, close to the alley where kids walked on their way to school. Many of these kids delighted in taunting and tantalizing Pete as they passed our yard. He would strain at his chain, barking at the kids. They'd get as close to him as they could and harass him.

Pete, as I said, was very smart. He figured out a way to make the chain look like it was taut so that the kids came closer, thinking they were safe. He lunged at one of them, grabbing his arm or hand. Fortunately, it was winter and the kid was protected with heavy clothing. But we knew that Pete's time of living in town was over. This town was much different from the little one in Arkansas where we lived. Somehow Dad found a sheep owner who needed a good dog. We heard as time went on that Pete turned out to be the best sheep dog he'd ever had. I know he was happier in the country, away from those ornery kids.

The story has a rather sad ending when he was killed by a car on one of those country roads. But he had a life well lived.


17 comments:

Glenda said...

I've missed you, Dawn!

I love this story and the pics from the past. Sweet memories like this one are to be cherished - and shared!

Gigi said...

I LOVE dogs...love them! Thanks for sharing Pete's story!

Hootin Anni said...

I'm bawling....I on the other hand love ALL furbabies. They are part of the family.

Funny thing tho, I've had doxies in my adult life also. Well...near adult was the first one I ever had. And living in the foothills as you know, dog packs were a known thing....and they got my little fellow and mauled him. We drove to the vet in a hurry, but he could not be saved. Then, my in-laws bought us one. Loved that guy!!!

Great story Dawn. Pets are so much part of our lives. I fell in love with Pete!!! I sure did.

...You May Say I'm A Dreamer said...

Thank you, Dawn, for your comment left on my blog. I have found that by sharing my experience with my precious boy, there are SO many "wounded" moms who understand how I feel. I am so sorry that you are going through this awful ordeal and I will keep you and your son in my prayers. I really believe that only through prayer can we really effectively help our precious children.

I am now a follower of your blog and look forward to a new friendship with you!

~Mary

nancygrayce said...

I never loved dogs until I married Russell and inherited a huge lab named Sam! He was such a loving dog, you just couldn't help falling in love with him. When he died we got our two little poodles and even though they are BAD, we love them. I can't imagine having to give them away! Bless Pete's little heart!

Needled Mom said...

Pete sounds like he was a great pooch! It is funny how they can burrow into your heart like that. I so enjoyed your story and look forward to many more after the picture adventure.

Michelle (wife, mom, grandma, daughter, sister, friend, co-worker, and striving to be a Proverbs 31 woman) said...

Hi Dawn!
I'm so glad you left me a post. It's wonderful to reconnect.
We lost our beloved 13-year-old German Shepherd last year to doggie cancer. We actually had a lot of losses last year -- also a dear friend (only 43) to cancer and my mom-in-law to complications from Alzheimers (73). And, the beginning of the loss (figuratively) of our son.
Praying for you and your family...
Michelle

Diane@Diane's Place said...

I'm an animal lover too, of all kinds. Sissy and Sparky were our most memorable and beloved dogs.

Have a great weekend, Dawn. Hopefully your snow will be gone soon and you can rejoin Spring in progress.

Love and hugs,

Diane

A Hint of Home said...

It's so good to look back at our childhood and remember those good times.
Enjoyed your story very much.
Dawn, I have to use free weights to tone my arms. It's a constant battle but it does help.

grammy said...

Good story
reminds me of Chonda Pierce and her Minister family stories (o: I have many dog stories too...but not the traveling part. We lived in the same place my whole life at home... never went out of the State of CO until I went to college.
My hubby bought me a cabbage burger at church last night. They were selling them as a fund raiser (o:

Anonymous said...

Great story! We always had hunting dogs for my 3 brothers. When I was about 10 my parents finally got me my own little dog. He liked my brother far better than me and was killed by a car they day before my 12th birthday.

Now I have a cat. I always felt pretty much like your dad about cats, but got her for my little girls long ago. My girls are all grown and moved away and I'm kept company by "my" cat >"<

Sam said...

Wow, Dawn. This is such a good story, with such a sad ending. Poor Pete. Sounds like he was a really special dog. I loved reading this. And I'm excited you have more posts based on old photos you found!

Robin said...

What a bittersweet story about Pete. I'm glad he finally got to live out his last years in freedom!
One of my dogs that I recently gave to a friend came to an untimely end last weekend when the neighbors mean, chained dog got loose and killed her. My heart is still hurting because she was such a sweet little soul. The neighbors put their dog down that day. So much sadness.

Sharon Lynne said...

You are such a good writer, Dawn. Do you just slap these things out? Or do you hone them. Great job. I felt like I was there!

My mother's childhood dog was "Pete", too. Must have been a popular name back then.

Brenda said...

That was a great story.
I'm not a big dog person personally, but I have got real attached to my sister's dog, Myrtle. She's the human-nist dog I've ever been around!

Barbara said...

Love reading about other people's lives and this was extra special.

Barbara said...

Yes Lark Rise to Candleford is filmed in Britain and is a lovely nostalgic tail.