Sunday, May 30, 2010

Thank You to Those Who Have Fought for Me


This Memorial Day is a very special one for us as a family. For the last several years, ever since my parents moved back here to our town, we have had a family picnic in their back yard. My brother, SIL, and nephew David come from Oklahoma every year to run in the Bolder Boulder 10K race.

This year we are celebrating the graduation of David from West Point. He is now Second Lieutenant David S. We are exceedingly proud of this amazing young man. He will be starting his post-West Point military career at a base in Georgia in a few weeks.






I'm going to make one of these tomorrow --





Interestingly, the latest book I've been reading this week goes right along with this special day.



It takes place during World War II when women took their place in the work world, keeping factories going while the men were serving our country in Europe and Asia. Very well written book, as usual for Lynn Austin.

Have a wonderful holiday and a good week.




11 comments:

Amy said...

Hope you have a wonderful holiday!

Glenda said...

I love your new blog look! So patriotic! Congrats to your nephew; what an accomplishment! Enjoy your day with family!

Hootin Anni said...

Good Happy Memorial Day to you Dawn!! What a wonderful, proud looking man you have there in your family. And West Point too. Y'know a certain president graduated from there...perhaps he's on his way to the White House himself!!!

The cake is decorated so pretty.

Hey? If you have time stop by ----I 'talked' about the NCIS redhead in my gabby blog.

Gigi said...

My flag is flying and I've been sitting here this morning reflecting on the sacrifices so many have made for this country's freedom over the many years of her history. Wouldn't it be wonderful if not one more drop of blood had to be shed...not one more life lost? One day...

Congratulations to the new grad...he looks so striking in his dress uniform! And so very young. Or maybe it's that I'm getting old! *LOL*

I used to make those cakes for the 4th of July and the kids always loved them because I used berries that we had picked! Seemed to taste better somehow! ;)

Enjoy your family picnic and the making of new memories!

Just Call Me Grammy said...

Awesome pictures...you have lots of reason to be proud! Have a great Memorial Day.
Terry

nannykim said...

I have read that book!! Congrats on your nephew---My son made second Lt. this past December and he is training in Mo. right now!

Anonymous said...

I am so happy to have found you once again. I enjoyed our little "chat". BTW, I read A Woman's Place and enjoyed it. The ladies formed quite a bond. Blessings..v from Idaho

grammy said...

We went to the Boulder Creek festival. It was fun (o:
It was a great weekend around here and yard work got done (o:
That cake is great.
Loved all your flowers on the last post and the book suggestions.
Congrats to your nephew.

Sharon Lynne said...

I hope your cake comes out well!

You must be so proud of your nephew!

rena said...

It's a little late, but Happy Memorial Day to my American friend. And congratulations to the West Point grad. What an honour!? My daughter is seriously thinking about joining the Canadian Forces, via their medical officer training program. If she does it, she'll grad from med school as a Captain. We shall see. A career committment to the military is a HUGE consideration. I imagine you are proud of your West Pointer.

Carole Burant said...

What a handsome young man your nephew Davis is and it's no wonder you're all so proud of him, congratulations to him for making Second Lieutenant!!

I've seen pictures of that cake in magazines, as well as a Canadian flag one, using strawberries. Must try to make one for Canada Day on July 1st:-)

I hope you've been having a great week, dear Dawn, I've been busy planting flowers. Only one big pot left to plant and then I'll be all done. Need to go buy some more soil later today. xoxo