Thursday, June 29, 2006

I Am a Condor

My husband just got back from Peru, where he was privileged to see condors flying around in a very deep canyon. He was thrilled to see this endangered species and took some great pictures.

I feel like just such an endangered species. Or even a dinosaur, which is extinct! I decided to share a part of my life that will shock most people. When asked about favorite movies on the profile section, I mentioned that I am not a movie buff and have very particular requirements for which movies I see. The truth of the matter is: I'VE ONLY BEEN TO ONE MOVIE IN A THEATER IN MY LIFE. And that was only a few months ago. It was The End of the Spear. It was the story of the 5 missionaries who were martyred in Ecuador in the 1950s. My brother had a big part in the production of the movie and I broke my life long rule and went to see it.

God did not strike me dead. But I don't think I'll be going back any time soon. I was raised in a denomination, to which I still belong, which frowned on movies and other "worldly" entertainment. It didn't bother me much to not go to movies. It still doesn't. I now have the option of renting any movie, if I just wait awhile. That's fine with me. I rent very few.

I didn't even go to The Passion of the Christ - I babysat so others could go. I thought it was a great thing that Mel Gibson made such a movie and it was so well attended. I would hope that it had long-lasting ramifications.

When I did go to the theater for the above-mentioned movie, I decided it was a terrible waste of money and time. I would never buy the overpriced snacks there. I would just as soon watch it on a smaller screen eventually and have my own popcorn and pop. Add to the fact that I usually fall asleep in the middle of any movie, I really do need the option of rewinding!

Call me weird, call me old-fashioned, call me out of touch. I can live just fine without movies in the theater - and most movies on video or dvd!

13 comments:

rena said...

or just call you someone who has made a choice that they feel good about it, nothing wrong with that.

Mall Worker said...

There is nothing wrong with not liking movies, or going to the movies. These days I don't even like going anymore, to many annoyances!

rena said...

testing...yup, I think I can still get to you

Brenda said...

I'm not a big fan of movie theaters either, mainly because of the outrageous prices. I'd much rather rent a video or DVD and stay home to watch. Mostly we just wait for them to come to cable.

Unknown said...

I do like movies, but not in the theater mostly due to the high prices. I so wanted to see End of the Spear in the Theater, but it is hard to make time to see a movie with a baby. I still haven't had him kept very much. I will have to rent it soon. How neat your brother had a part in making it! I saw the son of the missionary and the tribesman on the 700 club before it was made. What an amazing story. I am also a big Elizabeth Elliott fan. Thanks for stopping by today. keep up the good blog work!

Dawn said...

Yes, my brother was the PR guy and did much traveling for that movie. He got to know Nate very well, as well as the grandfather who was in on the killings and then became family to the children. What a wonderful act of God! I'm glad you know the story.

Kari said...

My organization was blessed to receive some of the PR that was produced and distributed for this movie... I am anxious to see it in its entirety. Thanks for stopping by my post. I'll hope you'll visit again soon.

Kristen said...

As a child growing up in said denomination, I despised this rule and used my first opportunity (college) to go to the movies! I never saw anything wrong with going to the theater, and I still don't. What's the difference between watching it on a big screen, or in your own home? But I respect your conviction, Mom. It is a big waste of money, but fun every now and then for a date, or to take the kids on an "adventure".

rena said...

Thank you for the well wishing on mine...much appreciated. This bloggin makes ya feel like a part of something big, doesn't it?? So glad you joined in the fray! Enjoy your weekend.

Brenda said...

I've tagged you for a meme. Let me know if you want to play along.

I'm still praying!

Brenda said...

I emailed you about the meme, but in case you don't get it, I'll tell you how here.

Just copy my list and replace my answers with yours, then post your list to your blog. Thanks for playing!

Danielle said...

Hey, you don't have to justify not going to movies. I don't think there are any parables in the Bible where Jesus bought popcorn and went and found a seat.

I don't watch tv. I gave it up 13 years ago and I RARELY see movies. They aren't worth it. 99.9% garbage.

BUT...End of the Spear was a touching story. I did not see the movie but I did get to meet Steven Saint and Mincay on their book tour when they came to my church. To hear Steve call Mincay "grandfather" and tell of how Mincay baptized him in the waters where Mincay speared his father to death was a true story of redemption and love!!!!

Danielle said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.