Monday, February 12, 2007

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DEAR KEVIN!

It was a Saturday, February 12. We went to cousin Joey's first birthday party - his birthday was Sunday, but we celebrated on Saturday. I was miserable, pretty sure that I wasn't going to be around on Sunday to sing the duet with Dad that we were supposed to do in church - we stopped by the church to tell the pastor. He thought we were joking. It was early Sunday morning. We headed for the hospital at 5:30 am. Dad called the couple who had offered to take care of Kristen when it was time - and got the wrong number at 4:30 am! Labor was short - you were born at 8:07 am. After I was settled in my room and ready to rest, there was nothing more for Dad to do, so he was told he should go get some rest himself. He was too keyed up to rest, so he went to church - and sang in choir! Your name had been chosen since we first knew we were having our first baby. When Kristen was born, Kevin remained the choice for a boy's name. I don't know what we would have done if you had been a girl, because we couldn't agree on a girl's name.

You weighed the same as Kristen when you were born, and were the same length. But you grew and gained at a much greater pace than your tiny older sister.

You didn't get a chance to learn to talk, because your sister did it all for you. You were two years old before you first uttered a sentence - you knew how to talk, but never needed to!

Take a little trip down memory lane with me.


Birthdays - Those were the days - when I used to create fun cakes!
SCAN0030
SCAN0035
SCAN0037
SCAN0040


Milestones
SCAN0025
First night in the "big boy bed"
SCAN0028
This one goes without saying!

Helping?!
SCAN0019

Helping!
SCAN0027

Does my blankie really need to be washed, Mommy?
SCAN0024

Easter Morning Excitement
SCAN0031

Easter Afternoon Fun with Cousins
SCAN0032


Messy Kev!
SCAN0038
SCAN0029
SCAN0041


Fun with Sister Kristen
SCAN0021
SCAN0023
SCAN0017
SCAN0046
Top of 11,420 peak - 7 mile round trip
(with Dad, too, of course)

Stylin'!!
SCAN0020
SCAN0022
SCAN0039
SCAN0045


Sportsman Kev
SCAN0036
SCAN0042
SCAN0043
SCAN0044
Iron Man Cousin Contest (and who is the most burned??)


Last, but not least, some of my favorites of all time --
SCAN0047
Brand new Converse All-Stars
102_0065
Well-Used Converse All-Stars!
SCAN0034
No Label Necessary


We are so happy to be celebrating this special birthday - 30. We are thankful to God that you are alive, well, home!

20 comments:

Tammy said...

Oh, wow...this was wonderful, Dawn!
I loved this tribute to your son...it was so fun to walk down memory lane with you like that!

Seeing the picture of he and Kristen in the laundry basket tugged at my heart because that is so much like my two girls around the house...and it makes me realize once again just how quickly time goes by.

Thank you for sharing all of this with us...
A very Happy 30th birthday to Kevin!

someone else said...

Happy, happy birthday to Kevin!

Mall Worker said...

This post is just so lovely. I loved all of his pictures, such a sweet birthday post. Happy Birthday Kevin!

Linda said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KEVIN!! What a special milestone. I am sure this is a very precious time for all of you. I'm so glad you are all doing so well. Praise God for all He has done.

brooke said...

Loved the picture of him in the baseball cap. So cute! you should frame it!

Sherry said...

great pictures! Happy birthday!

Pamela said...

Happy Birthday to your wonderful son Kevin!

All the pictures are so amazing! I especially liked the one of Kevin and Kristen sitting in the laundry basket...that is just priceless! The one of the two of them atop the mountain peak just sends chills down my back. It appears as if they are way too close to the edge. I am sure it is just an illusion, but wow!

Wishing Kevin oodles of blessings for his Birthday!

Kristen said...

What a sweet and wonderful trip down memory lane. I remember the laundry basket to this day. We loved hanging out in that thing!! Why? Who knows.

We were such cute little kids (If I do say so myself.) :-)

Happy Birthday to my dear, happy and healthy brother! PTL! The big 3-0! You've now joined the ranks, Kev.

Love you, Bro!!

C. H. Green said...

HAPPYYYY BIRTHDAY KEVIN!!!!!

Diane Viere said...

Dawn,

Beautiful!

Happy Birthday Kevin! I'd like to give you a small gift with extraordinary value: my life verse(s):

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully mdae; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. How precious to me are your thoughts, O God! How vast is the sum of the them! Were I to count them, they would outnumber the grains of sand. When I awake, I am still with you."

Kevin--you are a child of the King! He is always with you...and knows each day of your life--they've been written in His book! What a blessing you have been and continue to be! Happy Birthday!

Diane

kevinc said...

thanks mom, and everyone wishing me a happy b-day. i have mixed feelings about turning 30, i guess i'm all grown up now? well anyway, those pictures were awesome and brought back very many great memories, and i'm so happy, that there will be many more good memories.

Carole Burant said...

Happy Birthday to Kevin!!! Awww Dawn I so enjoyed seeing all those pictures of Kevin through the years...look at the blond hair on him, wow! I'm sure he'll appreciate the one of him in his skivvies! hehe Love the one of him and Kristen sitting in the laundry basket to watch tv!! Hugs xox

Anonymous said...

Kevin, On occasion when you were young I would look at you and think to the future about what life would be like when you would be 30 and I would be almost 65. I'd always come away with the idea that by that time, I'd be incapable of enjoying life like
I was doing at 35. I thought that I'd most likely be either gray haired or bald, inclined to spend a lot of time in a recliner, have a fair amount of wrinkles and be cranky most of the time. The thought of that made me shudder. Time goes by so fast and here we are today at that very spot on the road of life. Lets look at us. I'm not gray, not bald, just a few wrinkles and only get cranky when I get hungry - not too bad; still enjoy hiking, rafting, skiing and camping. You are a grown man, married to a wonderful girl and pursuing a degree at CSU.
You have traveled the world. You have defeated a terrible foe by the
Grace and miracle of God. We've just enjoyed a beautiful week-end skiing and sharing memories at Copper Mtn. For the first time in years I can say I'm enjoying being your Dad again. On your own birthday, you have given me this great gift. Thanks so much. God Bless you very much as you seek God's will for your life. As long as I live I will always pray for you and Angie as you go down life's road. Walk in the light he gives you. Be faithful. Happy Birthday.

Dad

Judith said...

To Grandma Dawn and Kevin, I read about your daughter, and sister, and am keeping up now with your journey, Kevin.

How I admire your sharing it with us. It's beautiful, seeing you work together on this. Just want you to know another wounded person is in your corner. Thank you for sharing you.

Lei said...

holy blondies! the giraffe cake is adrobale... and my boys would have ripped intot hat choo choo one! Lol! Cute!!!

Barb said...

Look at all these wonderful photos. I can't get over what little towheads they both were. These pictures are adorable, Dawn.

Happy Birthday, Kevin. Thirty's a milestone. :-)

Looney Mom™ said...

What great pictures! Time does fly doesn't it? Happy Birthday Kevin!

Unknown said...

I love all the pictures you shared! What a fun post!
Happy Birthday Kevin!

Lala's world said...

great pictures of your son! This is the 3rd birthday wish! since I read your daughters and DIL's blogs!!! but I am so glad that he is here to celebrate 30 years with you and today he is well in mind soul spirit and body! that is an answer to prayer I am sure!

Unknown said...

Happy Belated Birthday wishes.