Sunday, November 18, 2007

Thanksgiving Week Randomness

Psalm 100 (The Message)

A Thanksgiving Psalm

On your feet now—applaud God! Bring a gift of laughter,
sing yourselves into his presence.
Know this: God is God, and God, God.
He made us; we didn't make him.
We're his people, his well-tended sheep.

Enter with the password: "Thank you!"
Make yourselves at home, talking praise.
Thank him. Worship him.

For God is sheer beauty,
all-generous in love,
loyal always and ever.


We had a wonderful time at church and Sunday school this morning, with more to come this evening - our annual Thanksgiving dinner, with a short service following in which we focus on gratitude. Our sermon this morning began with the above Psalm from the Message. We read it in unsion, and it blessed me to tears.

I have told you once before about Flora, the Jewish lady who attends our church. She has become so much a part of us. She enjoys our company so much, and thanks us every chance she gets for our friendship, "even though I'm not a Christian." She's in her eighties and clings to the traditions of her Jewish life, and seems to be very afraid to accept the Lord. But she is close. Our pastor bought her a book to read, A Rose From the Ashes. It is about a Jewish woman who has become a Christian. I am reading it at her request. I would love to discuss it with her after I finish - I want to know what she thought. I am planning to get her a copy of The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom. She mentions the Holocaust every week, and the injustice eats at her. She cannot put the two together - that horror and a loving and just God.


We'll have 19 here for Thanksgiving dinner. I'll do the turkey, gravy, and my "famous" crescent rolls. Everybody else brings everything else. It'll be fun.


I want to thank Mary of Mary's Writing Nook, for this lovely award.

Community%252BBlogger%252BAward


We have definitely become a community, and I love and appreciate each and every friend I've made in this unique way. We have been through a lot together!


We are leaving on December 6 for Kona on the Big Island of Hawaii, to celebrate our 35th anniversary. There is much to do before then. I plan to try to put up one of my two trees Thanksgiving night after everyone leaves (unless I can snag some help from some of my company). I need to have all of my decorating done by the end of the week-end, since I need to do some entertaining before we leave. I also need to have my shopping done. Yikes! I know it's probably not okay, but I think everyone's getting gift cards this year. I know Barb, Becky, and Robin are cringing. But --- you've gotta do what you've gotta do. I hope to do Boo Mama's Christmas Tour of Homes from my laptop over there. Believe it or not, we will arrive back home on Sunday morning, the 16th, in time to attend Care Bear's first Christmas program (in which she actually plans to sing, overcoming her stage fright - praying for that!), and also sing in our cantata that night (DC has a solo and a duet with his sister). I should have some great shots to share either during or after, depending upon how much time I spend sitting on the beach while DC snorkels.


Many of you have probably been sent the following video. I love it and hope you do, too. And that it circles the globe with its message!






20 comments:

Linds said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Dawn, and I hope you have a wonderful time with your family. Happy trip too, and congratulations to you both on your wedding anniversary! Hawaii sounds divine. I just looked out the window here and it is still snowing.

Linds said...

About an hour and a half to 2 hours. Easily do-able for a day trip! I have been much further for a day visit, so let me know when you are coming!!!

Linds said...

Very probably. I just looked outside and it is still snowing now. It won't last, of course, but Europe has had massive snow falls over the past week.

Michelle-ozark crafter said...

Happy thanksgiving! Huggles and I will be praying for that precious jewish lady!

Myrna said...

Good video! Have a great time with your family! Our family was here this weekend--We had Thanksgiving--at least our version of it for 2007!

Karen H. said...

Good Evening Dawn,
That is a wonderful verse there. So very true. Congratulations on 35 years of marriage. You definetly deserve to go to Hawaii. I do hope you will have a great time and take lots of pictures to bring back and share with us. Maybe you could do a little trip like Barb did? LOL. I was just kidding. You do how you see fit to do it. I so enjoy reading your blog Dawn. Congratulations also on your Community Blogger Award. I woke up this morning with a sinus headache, but it is getting better. I am cooking our Thanksgiving dinner this year. It will be us 4 plus my parents and sister. My kids went with my parents to their Thanksgiving dinner at their church tonight and they just got home a bit ago. They brought me some food to eat too. I will lift that Jewish woman up. She does need our prayers and that is so sweet of you to think of her and buying that book for her. Well, take care my friend and if you don't post anymore, I will wish you now, HAPPY THANKSGIVING to you and yours and may God Bless you all.

Hugs,
Karen H.

Unknown said...

I hope you are able to take time to enjoy everything during this busy, but wonderful time of year. :-) You're Thanksgiving surrounded by so many sounds wonderful. I can hear all the chatter, laughter, and chaos. :-) It is music to my ears.
A trip to Hawaii to celebrate your anniversary sounds wonderful! What a fun trip you have to look forward to. Enjoy!

Linda said...

What an exciting next few weeks for you Dawn. It all sounds wonderful. I pray you will be able to just relax and enjoy every minute of it - once all the "stuff" is done. I will be thinking of you. Can't wait to hear all about everything!!

Diane@Diane's Place said...

I didn't realize your trip to Hawaii was so eminent, Dawn. Hope you have a great and memorable time. Pictures, my girl, lots of pictures to share with the rest of us! ;o)

Hope your Thanksgiving is wonderful as well. I have no idea exactly how many will be there, but we'll be spending Thanksgiving at Jessica and Jason's house. I'll be helping her cook, of course.

Have a great week, Dawn. ;o)

Love you,

Diane

Nadine said...

Have a great Thanksgiving with your family. Happy 35th anniversary. How wonderfull to take a trip to celebrate. Take lots of pictures to share.

Never heard the song before, thanks for sharing it was great.

groovyoldlady said...

Hahahahaha! I'm going shopping today and I'll be singing that song as I go through the checkouts!

Hawaii? In December? Oh you poor tortured soul! Here, let me give you a hug to make you feel better and then I'll sneak my Christmas stress avoiding self into your suitcase...Hey what are all these, um, "fancy" clothes doing in here? Ooooohhhh. Your 35th anniveresary? Oh my, then you won't want ME coming with you, even if I AM groovy. sigh.

Have a WONDERFUL, UNFORGETTABLE, ROMANTIC, RELAXING trip. And I think gift cards are fabulous gifts. Yes I do! So you let go of that guilt and have FUN!

:-)

Oh, and I added a hooey to my sidebar as best as my non-geeky self could manage to ID the fam in the slideshow.

Sue Seibert said...

Dawn, thank you so much for your prayers. As you may have already heard, our diocese took the first steps toward leaving the national church. Our bishop was/is so brave, even though his life had been threatened many times. Suprisingly, thank God, there was no violence and the whole convention was calm and to the point. Even those who are against scripture, for the most part, behaved in a most respectful manner. Thanks be to God for all His goodness.

Carole Burant said...

I hadn't seen that video or heard the song before so what a treat it was for me!! It saddens me when people won't use Merry Christmas...for me, it will always be Merry Christmas:-) You certainly do have a busy time ahead of you but once you get to Hawaii you'll be able to just relax and forget everything at home for a few days!! Congratulations on the Community award...as you say, we have become such a loving and supportive community:-)I wish I could cross the border on Thursday to celebrate Thanksgiving all over again!! xoxo

Tammy said...

Dawn, I hadn't seen that video or even heard that song... loved it!

And wow...I didn't know you were leaving for Hawaii on the 6th! WOOHOO! I am so happy for you!

(Yes, even though one of my trips there wasn't so great, the first one was absolutely wonderful!)
What a wonderful anniversary gift to yourselves!

Have a very happy Thanksgiving, dear Dawn!

Nancy said...

Happy Thanksgiving Dawn! You have been such an encourager for me lately and I am "thankful" to have you for a blogging friend! Please know that you are appreciated.

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving! Thank you for sharing the Thanksgiving Psalm. What wonderful sharing and learning you and the Jewish woman are experiencing.

Cheryl said...

Have a wonderful trip...a Happy Thanksgiving and a very Merry Christmas...loved the video

Linds said...

That appeals to me too.....What fun we could have!

Susie said...

I haven't seen that video before !
Just wanted to say Happy Thanksgiving. I'm knee deep in preparations and had to take a little break.
Hawaii sounds so fabulous for an anniversary celebration. We haven't been since our 10th anniversary. Bet it's really changed since then..
xoxo

Karen H. said...

Good Morning Dawn,
I just came by to wish you and yours a "HAPPY THANKSGIVING". I know you will be busy today as I will also. I have just posted a bit ago and am out visiting for a bit. If you have time today, stop by. I have something for all my blogging friends. It is raining here this morning and colder air is in store here for later tonight. Take care my friend and have a great Wednesday. May God Bless You and Yours. Sounds like you will have a house full.

Hugs,
Karen H.