Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Life and Times of Grandma Dawn

I want to thank all of you, my dear friends, for the kind comments and encouragement as I shared my angst over all of the upcoming changes in my life. I forgot two huge ones! My dear doctor, who delivered Kristen, and who has kept me on a good health track for all these years had to retire sooner than expected because of a health crisis of his own. I thought I had at least another year to deal with the trauma of breaking in a new doctor. But, alas, this was the year. DC has a GP he really likes, who also happens to be a fine Christian. So I gave him an audition last Friday, and he passed the test with flying colors.


If you're like me, insurance is a very frustrating thing. I've been working with an independent agent to find a policy I can afford until I turn the magic age for Medicare. What a trauma! But this young man won't give up until he finds just what works for me.


Now - on to the Life and Times of Grandma Dawn, Part II. The twinnies get so much attention, of course. I have met so many wonderful people when I take them places in their twin strollers. When we go to the grocery store, the girls at the customer service desk practically go on the P.A. system to announce, "The twins are here!" But I have to be sure that the big sisters don't get entirely left out, so I always brag on them - they really are good helpers and so loving to their babies.

Let's take a look at a few of our latest adventures. Don't you wish you could get this comfy while you watch a bit of t.v.? Note the black pillow - it's Care Bear's "security blankie-type thing." She cannot make it through a day without it.






It is so great to have a big sister who's learning to read and loves to share the fun with the other girls! Care Bear is in kindergarten, but has been reading for quite awhile already.




Let's do a little cookie baking, Grandma! It's a lot of work, but they love it so much that it's worth the mess and time.





They'll never take first prize in the Pillsbury Bake-Off, but they're proud!



Time out for a little slide down the steps on the snow sled. At least until Grandma gets new carpet and furniture, the family room is a great playground. Hopefully they'll grow up before that happens?!





Wednesday is Library Story Time -always fun. Care Bear was always more interested in the accompanying art project than the stories. This day was "goofy story" day and the puppet was "The Little Old Lady Who Swallowed the Fly - I don't know why she swallowed the fly." It was really cute.




School Fun and Fitness Day. Care Bear was flying like the wind around the track during the relay race. Anakin was embarrassed to have us watching, so Feisty and I stuck with Care Bear's group. She thought she was going to get to play, too, so it was a disappointment when she realized it was just watching. The twins were there, too, of course.




The Hurdles - when the race was finished, Care Bear and her friend just kept hurdling for the fun of it. So much energy!



Popsicle break - how nice that they shared with little sisters!




Feisty is having a little fitness fun of her own. (Check out the little flip-flops - she prefers them on the wrong feet!)




Feisty is Four!! And Care Bear is the Party Planner Extraordinaire. She spent the day making invitations, making signs, decorating her shirt with glitter! Note the nice cut job she did on her bangs - will she never learn??




The guest of honor enjoying being the center of attention - and it's nice to have a big sister to read your cards to you!




The perfect birthday cake!







The Party Planner turns into the Hostess with the Mostest, as she cuts and serves the cake.




Feisty is following in her sister's footsteps and beginning to draw and display her art work to the world.




Kindergarten Showcase. Care Bear finally conquered her stage fright and performed for all she was worth. She's in the front row with the black dress and pink ribbon and bow at the waist (which she insisted on wearing, along with black tights - and sandals - though it weas a perfectly lovely spring night and it was a very warm winter dress!) There was one song she thought was absolutely too stupid to sing - and she didn't (she was right - it was stupid!) The little boy right behind her is the music teacher's son. He kissed her on the head. patted her head - so cute. I asked her if he was her boyfriend she said, "No, he's my best friend." I hope it stays that way for a long time!!




Oh, all right, just two pictures of the little girlies - one with Great Grandma and Grandpa, and one with Great Auntie.



Good night! Sweet dreams. Please pray for Kristen at 9:30 Wednesday Mountain Standard Time - a huge need! Thank you!

25 comments:

Susie said...

Anytime I think I get tired chasing after our grandsons, I need to remind myself of all you do. You must be asleep before your head hits the pillow!
They look like happy, bright little ones and I can tell why you're so proud.
xo

Diane@Diane's Place said...

We've been blogging buddies for over 2 years now, and I've watched the older girls grow from toddlers into little girls. Hard to believe that O. is already 4 years old! Can you imagine having all 5 of them in school at the same time??

And like Susie said, I just have one to run after. I don't know how you manage with 5 of them!

Loved the pictures, Dawn. Hope you have a great week, or what's left of it.

Love and hugs,

Diane

Linds said...

The big sisters are wonderful, Dawn, and you must be so proud of them both! I loved the photos, and will be praying of course.

MG gets home tomorrow I think.... I am looking forward to hearing what she did on her holiday!

Thanks so much for the birthday wishes....my day was just great, and I was thoroughly spoilt. Lovely!

Susan said...

Such precious kids. You can tell, just by looking, that they are loved!!
Susan

Nadine said...

The twins come by their cuteness from their older sisters.

Happy Birthday to Feisty. Looks like a good time with all that cake.

Anonymous said...

What sweet girls. Can't believe how much they look alike when their hair is cut the same way!

JS

Robin said...

I just admire so much how involved you are in your grandkids lives. That is exactly how I want to be. I know you must feel overwhelmed at times - but the impact you are having on those kids lives is immeasurable! You are an awesome grandma!
I want you to know that I have been praying for you even though I have been absent from blogland for a while with all that is happening in our family. I am waiting for the post that tells me "all is well - prayer has conquered once more!".
Have a great day and enjoy the countdown to R day!

Deb said...

What awesome pictures of the big sisters! And a huge happy birthday to Feisty!! I had to laugh at the flip-flops on the wrong feet - Hannah only recently has started wearing hers on the correct feet (she always insisted that they were 'right' when they were on the wrong feet) - and that goes for gym shoes and sandals too. Makes my toes hurt just to think about. And Becca puts her flip-flops on the wrong feet when she does it herself too. :)

Barb said...

Another bunch of great photos, Dawn. I love the way you capture all the day to day events in their lives.

She cracks me up that she cut her bangs again. Why on earth do they do that! Mine did the same thing.

Krissy took some great shots of me and Cameron this weekend. He and I were finding doodle bugs. Unfortunately, he'd been in his little pool and I looked up and his diaper was nowhere to be seen, so you won't be seeing those cute photos on my blog. LOL

It's way past 9:30 but I said a prayer for Kristin this morning. I hope it all went well.

Simply Heart And Home said...

I'm behind in reading everyone's blogs since I've been away. Now I am back. I'll be saying a prayer for you and all your changes.

God bless you

Gina

Christa said...

Prayers for you and yours.
God bless ♥

Unknown said...

Feisty's birthday pictures are precious!!!

Heather said...

I loved the pictures and I am lifting your daughter in prayer...and you :)

Mary said...

Dawn,

I enjoyed catching up. Tell Feisty and Care Bear that I think they are lovely girls to help so much with the twins.

I'm sorry I was late getting over, as I missed the time to pray for Kristen. I will pray anyway and I know that God is listening.

Thank you so much for your prayers for my aunt. Your thoughtfulness, prayers and friendship mean a lot to me.

Blessings,
Mary

Tammy said...

Wow, you surely keeping busy, dear Dawn! I have a feeling there is no need to find things to do when you retire! ;)
I just loved seeing a day in your life and all the wonderful pictures!

I will be praying for Kristen!

Hugs,
~Tammy

Mimi said...

I just loved the updates on the big sisters...they are so adorable..and so like little ladies...
I have kept Kristen on my prayer journal since you first requested prayers for your needs....
I pray that her special need was met at 9:30 this morning...
I continue to hold all of you up in my prayers..until this is resolved...
Love and {{Hugs}}
Mimi

Nancy said...

Happy Birthdya to Fiesty... how cute! The photos are just precious. I just love keeping up with your girls! Kristin has my prayers along with you as you face the big CHANGES ahead!

nancygrayce said...

How precious they all are! I always think how much like you the girls look. I'm still cutting my hair, just like when I was little. Sometimes, I'm really sorry. :) I'm praying for Kristen! I think you're the best mama and grandmama ever.

RainyD said...

oh those girls are just to much!!! my sisters and I didn't cut our own hair growing up - we always cut each others. My bangs always looked so nice and neat - my sister's however looked very much like little Miss Care Bear's hair!

I really enjoyed this blog post - seeing how the girls are doing is just a breath of fresh air at times.

I was praying for Kristen early this morning as I read your comments to me - I responded via a nice long email. I hope it finds you well.

Snuggle those twins and tell the girls I could use some cookies too :)

Judith said...

It's so good, seeing so much happiness on little kids'faces.
And I love how they've learned to intertain themselves with everyday situations, making cookies, and taking care of little sisters.


I'll admit to being partial to education. Think it's great they're reading early, But the best part of all these pics is the
HAPPY.

P.S. I'm still praying for you and your family.

Needled Mom said...

But wait....is that 12 candles on the cake for a four year old???? I think I might be insulted if some multiplied my age by 3 (plus it would probably catch the house on fire).

The girls look like they are such good friends. How wonderful to share books with each other. I have the "Old woman" with all of her stuffings and the grands absolutly LOVE the story. Perhaps they like to stuff her mouth even more. :~)

Still sending many thoughts and prayers, Dawn.

Have a good weekend.

Ms. Kathleen said...

Wow! I got tired just trying to follow you around! Ha! Lovely photos!

Praying for Kristen... It is finally starting to get SPRING here. I hope it stays around awhile!
☺♥

Carole Burant said...

Hi Dawn:-)

I've so loved this post and seeing all the pictures of the girls, all 4 of them! They are such happy and well adjusted kids and you really have to love their energy! I see that Care Bear still wants to become a hairdresser eh? lol Too cute. Glad to see that Feisty had such a fun birthday...so many girls are wanting the Hannah Montana birthday cake:-) You must get to bed exhausted at night...but the joys of being a grandma surely must make it all worth while!! xoxo

Nancy said...

Stopping in again to check on the Kristen prayers. Is everything OK?

Love Bears All Things said...

My Christian Women's Prayer Ladies are doing, "Having a Mary heart in a Martha world." The party planner sounds like a "Martha" in the making. Nice picture story.
Mama Bear