Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Birthday Memories

Before I continue with the birthday celebration, I would like to acknowledge this wonderful award from Hootin' Anni. Here is a bit about the award:


The Prémio Dardos is given for recognition of cultural, ethical, literary, and personal values transmitted in the form of creative and original writing. These stamps were created with the intention of promoting fraternization between bloggers, a way of showing affection and gratitude for work that adds value to the Web.

Receiving this award from Anni means a lot to me. Here is the criteria she used for her choices.

They have all contributed to my enjoyment with their originality of their blogging style either with down home atmosphere, love of family values, humor, or instigating a vivid interest on a given subject which I research further after reading the daily entry. All are inspirational for me in some way. Either their writing style, their humor, their photography, their faith, the recipes, their tours shared, family devotion, many many reasons---


Thank you so much, Anni!





Thank you for your fun and kind comments about my tribute to Mom. It is so interesting - all of my growing up years, everyone thought I looked more like Dad and my sis looked more like Mom. I never once thought I looked like my mom - ever. So many people at the party saw resemblance in some of the pictures - especially the one of her standing in the little Corpus Christi apartment. Several of you have mentioned the same thought. As we have aged, my sis and I seem to look more alike every year. Strange.

On to the celebration --

The fun began Thursday night late when my oldest brother (# 3 in the birth order), my SIL, and two nieces arrived. #5 sibling, my youngest brother and his #3 son, arrived around noon on Saturday. They stayed at our house.

Kristen has been very sick with a nasty virus and has been on heavy duty meds for almost a week now. We've had the kids, all 4 of them, since Friday. That turned out to be an interesting blessing, because if they hadn't been here, they wouldn't have had the chance to have so much fun with their second cousin, who is 13, and about 6 feet, 2 inches tall - just like his dad, who grew that tall at about the same age. He turned out to be the best playmate and the girls were all very sad when their visit ended and they headed back home.

Saturday morning Care Bear did her usual thing - planning the events. She had art class going on and was teaching lessons to her grandpa, sister, and cousin. Then they began playing all sorts of games with plastic and styrofoam cups.






Cousin L turned out to be a fabulous babysitter for the twins, and it was such a blessing to me - he and many others just pitched in and passed around the privilege of playing with them. It took the littles a bit of time to warm up to him, but L soon won them over and they were inseparable most of the day on Saturday.






They pretty much won everyone's hearts.



We had a lovely buffet sandwich and salad lunch.


Care Bear was more interested in writing yet another book than in eating.


We had a great surprise for Mom - her sister, niece, and great-niece flew from Minnesota and arrived while we were eating. Several people formed a wall so Mom couldn't see their arrival at the house.



I have never seen Mom so shocked - she was totally and completely surprised. I don't know why the lighting on this shot is so bad, but you get the idea.



Emma enjoyed the birthday cupcakes as much or more than anyone.



Mom opened her gifts - I love this picture of her modeling her new hand made apron.


My brothers at their best --




The biggest guy takes the couch for a bit of a snooze - everyone was pretty tired by this time of the day.





More to come - the celebration with church family and friends.



21 comments:

Mary said...

Dawn,

I love the look of surprise on your mother's face. She sure was surprised.

Looks like everyone had a terrific time. Blessings to all.
Mary

Susie said...

Hi Dawn,
Looks like such a fun party! It's great to pull off such a fun surprise and I think your picture captures it just perfectly!
I do believe there is future work for Care Bear as a party planner :)
xo

Midlife Mom said...

I have been enjoying your last couple of posts this morning. The pictures of your Mom and Dad are just wonderful, isn't it a blessing to have the old family pictures?! I like the old car in one of the pictures, I think I have one of my parents with a car like that. Also the one with the children and then the grandchildren is so good. Happy Birthday to your dear Mom! She sure looked surprised! What a great shot!

I agree with Susie, I think Care Bear has event planning in her future! :o) Isn't it nice that the cousins got a chance to get to know each other better and have such a good time?

Congratualtions on the nice award from Anni, very deserving indeed! Your blog is so interesting, I enjoy it very much too!

Guess I'd better get at it. Have so much to do before we go away next week. As much as I enjoy these trips when I'm there the getting ready for and unpacking and all after isn't so much fun. It will be nice to get my feet in the nice warm ocean, here it stays freezing cold even in the summer.

Linda said...

As usual, I am late to the party. Belated Happy Birthday to your precious Mom. What a lovely tribute Dawn. You always do everything so well.
The party looks like a huge success. I just love it when a planned surprise goes so well. She looks so cute.
What a blessing the girls' cousin was. Isn't it great when the older ones take such an interest in the little ones?
We're heading out to San Fran and then driving to Monterey after a few days. We sure are looking forward to it.
I'll check in when we get back!

Sam said...

The look of surprise on your mother's face literally brought tears to my eyes. She must have been so happy.

Looks like it was a great party and a special family reunion.

The girls are all as adorable as ever!

Laurie in Ca. said...

How fun for your mom to be celebrated so thoroughly with the ones she loves. The napping brother reminds me of my brother:) Wonderful surprises for her too, you guys did great! It will be a memory for all to cherish in the years to come. I love you Dawn. And the kids are all so cute!!

Love and Hugs, Laurie

Sherry said...

such fun pictures. Wish we could have been there, but so glad so many were there to celebrate with her. Can't wait to see more pictures.

someone else said...

It was an unforgettable weekend and SO much fun!!

Nancy said...

What a great celebration and I love the surprise picture of your mom. The twins are growing so fast and I just love Care Bears personality. You have such a great family and that is a blessing indeed!

Susan said...

What a great family time. I love surprises.
Susan

Nadine said...

What a fun party and to pull off a surprise is even better.

Happy Mother's Day.

nancygrayce said...

You have a very happy Mother's day too, Dawn!

grammy said...

What a wonderful celebration... I love the look on her face. Lots of family and lots of goings on. Isn't it fun to have everyone together. Hope your daughter is better.

Kristen said...

So, so so, so sad I missed all of this. Breaks my heart.

Karen H. said...

Good Moring Dawn,
"HAPPY MOTHER' Day" to you and your wonderful Mother. Also, "HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY" to your Mother as well. "THANK YOU" For sharing such a wonderful time with your Mother on her birthday. Sorry I have been a bad blogger, but I SEEM TO BE doing Facebook more lately. I did put up a new post this morning. Take care my frien and have a great MOTHER' Day. May GOD Bless you and yours. I hope Kiristen gets to feelin better soon also.
Love,
Karen H.

Hootin Anni said...

I so love all the family photos Dawn.

I wanted to stop by and send along my very best wishes for you that you have a wonderful, happy Mother's Day!!! Be blessed.

Needled Mom said...

Oh Dawn, it looks like it was such a wonderful party. I absolutely LOVE the shocked look on your mom's face when the surprise guests arrived.

It sounds like you really had your hands full with the little ones there full time. You are a wonderful mom and grandma to all of them. I hope that Kristen is feeling all better by now.

Isn't it nice to have built in babysitters to help with the girls? I am sure it was a mutual enjoyment for all involved.

I, too, as a child looked more like my dad. Now I often get mistaken for my mom's sister!!!!!! She is awfully young looking and we laugh about it all the time. I hope to look as good as she does when I reach her age.

I hope that you had a wonderful Mother's Day yesterday. xox

Ms. Kathleen said...

I just love that look on your mom's face. What a wonderful surprise. What a great party and send some of those cupcakes my way! What a blessing family is and what a blessing you are to your family! Hugs!

Christa said...

What fun, and such blessings!

Hootin Anni said...

Thank you kindly for dropping by and leaving your comment wishing Bud and me a happy anniversary. It meant a lot to me, truly. Happy Tuesday.

Carole Burant said...

Oh Dawn, that look of surprise on your mom's face is just priceless! It sounds like the party went really well and how wonderful to be with the family like that. That's one party that your mom will never forget and I've no doubt she loved every minute of it:-) I so enjoyed seeing all the pictures and seeing Care Bear hard at work on her next book made my heart melt! The twins also looked like they were having a great time:-) xoxo