Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Kona Adventure - Part 10

Catching up a bit - Kate has gained 5 ounces since she came home on Friday. The doctor she saw for a check-up was very impressed with her. Kristen is having a tough time getting up to the hospital, so I've had the privilege of feeding and snuggling Emma at her noon feeding the last two days. She's up to 4 pounds. Today she has to have an eye exam, which is the norm for ones as small as she was. She had to have two sets of two drops in each eye today as I held her. She didn't really like that! Thanks for all of your concern - we all are fine now. But it was rather frightening to think we might have given something to these little tiny girls.

I'm trying to finish the travelogue - it's been almost two months already since we were on our trip. What a lot has happened since then! But sometimes I just have to go back in my mind for a bit of respite!

I read two articles in the paper this week-end about the wild weather in the islands. There's a lot of snow on Mauna Kea - I showed you a picture of a bit of snow when we were there, but it sounds like a lot more now. Right now Hilo is being inundated with rain, so much that it is at the danger level.

The day trip I am going to share today was up on that end of the island. It was a bit rainy that day, but nothing like they're having right now. We took the Waipio Valley Wagon Tour - a ride down into a very deep valley in a wagon pulled by 2 mules. I was sorry that the guide, who took the picture for us, didn't include the mules! This guide was very knowledgeable and gave us a great tour. Note DC in the front and me in the back - we weren't fighting - it was just a better place for him to be able to hear what was going on, as well as the other man he sat by. (DC doesn't admit to being hard of hearing, but he does have a bit more of a problem than he realizes.)

We met a really neat couple who had just moved from Texas to Hawaii - just picked up and moved. We met two couples in our travels that week who had done that. Made us want to join them!
This trip was amazing - it was a 2 mile road down into this gorgeous valley - a 1000 foot drop.
This valley used to be the playground of the royal family. It was a thriving community with a church, a school, and a post office. On April 1, 1946, a tsunami ravaged the valley. It later became a prosperous sugar cane producing area. Ten years ago, the sugar cane farmers gave up. Until that time, the workers were supplied with small huts for $17/month. When the farmers called it quits, they were offered their little homes for $1500. I don't know what has happened to those little houses, because there is not much there now - a few very worn out looking places.
Now approximately 50 people live down there, described as "a few disgruntled hippies, many of whom are named Dave" by the tour book we had with us. They have electricity from generators, some of the time. Somehow, they do manage to have satellite dishes.
Now the only crop growing there is taro - which is used to make poi out of the roots. Our guide told us what I already suspected - it's not good! Here's what I found on Google - I think I would agree with him!
Poi is a Hawaiian word for the primary Polynesian staple food made from the corm of the kalo plant (known widely as taro). Poi is produced by mashing the cooked corm (baked or steamed) to a highly viscous fluid. Water is added during mashing and again just before eating, to achieve a desired consistency, which can range from liquid to dough-like (poi can be known as two-finger or three-finger, alluding to how many fingers you would have to
use to eat it, depending on its consistency).

But it was such a gorgeous place - like being in a tropical jungle. There had been lots of rain, so we had to make it across some pretty big "puddles." The mules did a great job - though they did get stubborn and stop where and when they felt like - including in the middle of the water.
There were many waterflows cascading down the rocks to the valley. The view from the top was amazing. It was just a wonderful jaunt.


PEA said...

So glad to hear that baby Kate is thriving:-) Oh Dawn, what gorgeous scenery you saw while on that wagon tour. As you say, some parts looked just like a jungle. Beautiful pictures!! xox

Midlife Mom said...

What gorgeous pictures! This certainly was a trip of a life time! I wish he had taken pictures of the mules too!

So glad that Kate is doing so well! What a proud Grandma you must be holding that precious little girl!

nancygrayce said...

So glad you are all well now! And such good news about Kate and praying Emma will join her at home real soon! Love the pictures! What a trip!

Mimi said...

lucky you that you get to be the one to give Emma her noon bottle...I continue to pray that she will be able to join the rest of the family at home very soon..
and your trip pictures are just awesome...what a wonderful trip that must have been... no wonder you like to think of moving there...
you are a great tour guide...

Becky said...

The girls both look SO good. And what a thrill to have Kate home for lovae anytime she wants it. Hurry Emma!!!

Penless Thoughts said...

Such beautiful sites!!!!

Maine Mom said...

I'm glad you're continuing with this travelogue because the pictures are so gorgeous and it's fun to hear about your trip. Too funny that the "disgruntled hippies" have satellite dishes!

I'm glad everyone is feeling better and Kate didn't catch anything. :-)

Needled Mom said...

Glad that the "bug" has passed on by. It is scary to think of the wee ones getting something like that.

The pictures are just gorgeous. It must seem like the trip was a hundred years ago with all that has happened since. You will live on those memories for a long time.

I'm looking forward to seeing more photos.

groovyoldlady said...

I wih I really HAD been in your suit case!

Chris said...

Wow, beautiful pictures. We never made it down into the valley, but walked a little ways and I said no more.
I am sure Emma is really enjoy cuddling with you. What a wonderful blessing, and that she is gaining weight. How long before she will come home?
God Bless

Diane J. said...

Yay for the girls! Hopefully they'll both be at home with you soon.

I think these are my favorite pictures of Hawaii so far. I love the lush vegetation and the waterfalls. I wouldn't want to have to climb up and down those mountain sides and cliffs to get to the ocean, though!

Hope you're all well, Dawn.

Love and hugs,


Robin said...

After getting dumped on yet again by another few inches of snow - I am enjoying your Hawaii tour immensely!

Kathleen Marie said...

Such itty bitty babies! So precious!

I should have warned you about Poi. I hope you didn't taste it. Cardboard! But it is a staple.

The photos are just gorgeous! Makes me want to take a trip back.


Nancy said...

My husband is the same way with his hearing problem. Your hubby has an identical twin in NC (or at least they look a lot alike). He is married to a dear friend that taught across the hall from me for over 20 years. I had thought this before when I saw pictures but never mentioned it.

Glad to hear the twins are growing and doing great. Our twins had the same eye exams and still go back at 3 month intervals.

Thanks for the great pictures from your trip.

Beemoosie said...

As the freezing rain hits my window, I am enjoying your incredible pictures! Blessings to you and yours!

Nancy said...

Oh, all that green looks so lovely, all we see here is white snow, & more by the minute.. enjoy your tour...

Sharon Lynne said...

Those are beautiful pictures. Were there any mosquitos? It's fun to imagine the royal family running around down there...and the other history that has taken place.

I'm glad you were able to snuggle and care for Emma. You are going to be close to those twins. It must be nice to be a grandma of so many girls!

Nadine said...

It's difficult to put so many good times and beautiful pictures in just a few posts.

You're doing a great job with your travelogue.

Come by for your awards.

Karen H. said...

Good Afternoon Dawn,
I'm glad the girls are improving. Hopefully Emma will be home before too long. I hope you are having a good time in the mountains on the ski trip. I have never skied, but I think it would be fun to give it a try. These pictures are just gorgeous. I love seeing the waterfalls. Those are truly and awesome sight to see and a beautiful work from GOD. I bet it would be so tempting to just pick up and move there. The Valley where the Royal Family lived is a but run down, but it's still beautiful. I would have been scared to death when those Mules stopped in the middle of the water there. I would be afraid of snakes coming up. LOL. I am just terrified of snakes and when they are on t.v., I go out of the room or cover my eyes till they are gone. "THANK YOU" so much for sharing another day of your vacation with us. I do enjoy reading about it. I haven't posted in a few days. My DH got home around 4:15a.m. on Wednesday morning and they wasn't able to leave to go up North like they normally would. The DSC Logistics Warehouse in Memphis is right next to the place where they get their loads and their Driver Manager had called DH's Uncle on Wednesday morning and told them all loads had been cancelled. He did say that they would leave out early Sunday morning on their run to Salt Lake City tho. My DH is gone now to pick up the load so they can wait till leave around 5:00a.m. on Sunday morning. Mt. View, AR, is just torn to pieces. Our local t.v. station has been up there all week and doing some live broadcast's from there and today in Jonesboro, they are having a Pack a Pickup Event. They want everyone to bring supplies that the trucks can take to the areas that have been hard hit. They were telling about it on the news last night and I just broke down and started crying. I told my DH and girls that I wanted to go up to our local Dollar General Store and get some supplies. That's what we did and we are taking them out there to Jonesboro later on this afternoon. It makes a person feel good to be able to help those that have nothing now. I told the girls last night that we never know when we are going to be in a situation like that and it's always a good thing to be able to help our neighbors in need. Some of the car dealerships in Jonesboro loaned some of their trucks to put the things in to be delivered. Since my DH has been home, my schedule has been out of whack. I hope to start posting next week on a regular basis again. But I have felt the need to spend my time with him while he's been home. Take care my friend and have a great day. May God Bless You and Yours.

Karen H.

Mary said...


I'm glad the girls are doing so well. I continue to pray for them.

Wow! Lovely photos and description of your day trip. I wish the guide had taken a picture of the mules too. Looks like you and hubby were having a lot of fun.

Have a great weekend and enjoy feeding Emily. I know Kristen must be tired.

When you have a chance, please drop over to my blog. I'm having an Easter giveaway.